Sunday, July 12, 2009

Week 16 -- Shabu shabu and Gubongsan

1. (What I learned about Korea)


Clayton, Derrick and I went out for shabu shabu this week. Shabu shabu is popular in both Japan and Korea, and we had a very good meal of it here in Daejeon. So I learned what shabu shabu is, and thus I learned a little more about food in Daejeon and Korea.


This week I also went and hiked on Gubongsan mountain. Gubongsan is another of the Eight Scenic Sights of Daejeon. It was unlike the other mountains I've hiked in that it was more of a chain of peaks connected by a series of ridges, as opposed to there being either one peak or multiple peaks separated by valleys. Hiking along the ridges enabled me to see some breathtaking views, and I learned more about the scenery of Daejeon while doing so.


After hiking on Gubongsan, I headed over to the Standing Buddha Statue at Bongsosa temple. This is a famous cultural artifact. Examining it taught me a little more about Buddhist sculpture, especially as this particular statue is supposed to be very representative of Buddha statues.


Finally, after my tourism adventures, I found a restaurant where I could try boar. I again learned more about Korean food, and also that I like the taste of boar.


2. (Project status)


I determined that the HUBO computer should be able to run a version of the beat tracker, and that putting it onboard the HUBO is probably possible. I also wrote most of a serial port addition to the HUBO code that would let it receive information from the beat tracker. I continued working on the documentation of the motor controllers. Finally, I received confirmation that the ICHIT paper was accepted.


3. (Photos)


The first photo is from the top of Gubongsan, and the second is of the Buddha statue.







4. (What I learned about myself)


Despite some setbacks involving the serial port code this week (the original serial port functions I wanted to use were depreciated on my system, necessitating a switch to other ones that were more complex), I was able to push through it, demonstrating that I have perseverance.


5. (New people I met this week)


I was rather busy this week and so was not able to meet anyone new. I did find out when the English village meets, though, and so I should be able to go there one day this next week and strike up conversations.


6. (Politics)


No new news from North Korea that we've heard. Looks like it's quieting down again. The threats are becoming almost commonplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment