Sunday, July 5, 2009

Week 15 -- Shrines and Daecheonghosu

1. (What I learned about Korea)

I took the time to go to a couple historic shrines. One was the Jinjam Confucian school. Another was the Suwoongyo Cheondan, a famous shrine for the Suwoongyo religion (a fusion of Confucianism, Buddhism, and Zen). By going through them, I learned how some of the shrines in the area are laid out. I also read the notices about what was taught or focused on at each shrine, and learned some more about the respective religions by doing so.

This weekend I visited Yuseong Market. This market is only open in days of the month ending in 4 or 9, so the 4th this Saturday was an ideal time to go through it. I got some delicious food there (including some duck), and I learned more about how the markets are laid out and what is sold in them. I regrettably did not get to see the livestock, but maybe another trip I will be able to do that.

After the market, I went to Sutonggol, a popular resort area. Sutonggol is known for its waterfall, but it seemed to be pretty dry when I went. Still, the scenery was nice and I got to hike a new mountain, Geumsabong. This was the first 'resort' type area I'd been to, so I learned about how those are laid out and what's in them.

Today I went to Lake Daecheonghosu. It's one of the 8 Scenic Sights of Daejeon (so I only have 2 more to go). The lake itself was spectacular, as were the mountains and parks in the area. I visited the Public Information Center near the dam, and there I learned a little more about how important water conservation is in Korea. The information there said that a water shortfall of over 100 million tons is predicted, and that the country is aggressively researching ways to ameliorate this problem. I hadn't known that water in Korea was so precious, but I do now.

While I was up there, I took the chance to try another of the 6 food specialties of the city, namely maeuntang (spicy catfish soup). I found a restaurant known for the dish in my restaurant guide. The restaurant was a place in the middle of a quiet residential neighborhood bordering the lake. The food was excellent, and the view was great too. I learned more about how fish is cooked and served in Korea. Also, as I took the bus back, I increased my familiarity with the local bus system.

Also while I was by the Lake, I saw a sign indicating the release of the 50,000 Won banknote. This was the first news of it being released that I'd heard, even though it debuted a couple weeks ago. I guess the local ATMs haven't been upgraded to provide it yet. Still, this will make life easier when carrying large sums of money (for paying rent, for instance). The previous largest bill was 10,000 Won, less than $10. Now we will be able to carry money much more compactly.

2. (Project status)

I continued working on documentation this week. Also, Dr. Paul Oh had a conference with Clayton and I over Skype, and he is having me start implementing the dancing robot algorithm on the HUBO over here. So next week I'll be focusing on starting that.

3. (Pictures of the week)

The first two photos are of Suwoongyo Shrine, and the third is of Lake Daecheonghosu.




4. (What I learned about myself)

The restaurant I ate the maeuntang at was probably the most remote place I've been to so far, and I was unfamiliar with the area and the local bus schedule. As a result, getting back seemed challenging. But I was able to communicate with the people at the restaurant well enough to learn when the next bus was coming, and was able to use that information to get on the bus and get to a populated area where I could grab a cab. So I learned that I can navigate even to the furthest, most remote reaches of Daejeon.

5. (New people I met this week)

I didn't meet anyone new this week. Dr. Oh advised that we try to form language partnerships with the locals (teaching them English while learning Korean from there), and I saw a sign for an 'English village' program on campus, so I might try checking that out to see if anyone there wants to partner with me.

6. (Politics)

North Korea has continued to shoot off missiles. To be honest, it's still pretty calm over here -- North Korea has been threatening and posturing for our entire stay here, and nothing's come of it yet. Besides, it's common knowledge that they'd get utterly destroyed if they actually attacked, so it doesn't seem like people are very worried about them bombing us.

No comments:

Post a Comment