Sunday, June 14, 2009

Week 12 -- Donghaksa and Daejeon National Cemetary

1. (What I learned about Korea)

The 'living in Daejeon' guidebook we got in the dorm recommended visiting the Daejeon National Cemetery as a cultural institution. I visited it this Saturday. It was a very educational experience. I saw the monuments for the soldiers who fell fighting in different wars, and I saw different graveyards for soldiers, police officers, and meritorious citizens. I also saw many picnickers, which made me see that the atmosphere was more casual than that of the cemeteries I've seen back in America.

I also went outside of Daejeon to see Gyeryeongsan mountain, which contains Donghaksa and Gapsa temples. I saw both temples and learned more about Buddhist sculpture and artwork. In particular, Donghaksa temple was a large complex with several unconnected buildings, and I got to see how the area was laid out.

While I was on Gyeryeongsan, I had the chance to see Eunsun Falls. The view was great, and now I know another place to go to show a really nice view in case I show more people around the city (like my parents last week).

I tried acorn jelly, one of the six Daejeon specialty dishes. Acorn jelly apparently has a long history in Daejeon, as it was originally produced by farmers who wanted to manufacture a crop during the winter months. So now I know what acorn jelly tastes like.

2. (Project status)

I continued working with microcontrollers. Also, I may start working on the GUI again soon.

3. (Picture of the week)

Altar at Donghaksa temple:



4. (What I learned about myself)

Gyeryeongsan mountain had paths much rockier than the other mountains I've been on so far (Bomunsan, Sikjangsan, and Gyejoksan). It was much more difficult to make my way along the paths. But I managed, and so I learned that I can traverse difficult terrain.

5. (New people I met this week)

I didn't meet anyone new this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment