Sunday, June 7, 2009

Week 11 -- Geological Museum and O-World

1. (What I learned about Korea)

I tried some new dishes this week, and I learned a little more about cuisine in Korea. On Thursday, the lab students (me included) went out to a tofu restaurant. I actually haven't eaten much tofu, but I enjoyed the meal, and I learned more about tofu is used in Korean dishes.

On Friday, by contrast, we went out for Chinese. It was very different from Chinese food back in America; lunch was three courses, including a sweet and sour chicken course (each plate shared by four people) between the dumplings and the noodles. It was delicious. I found it interesting how the food was prepared, in contrast to Chinese food in America.

Today I went to Theme Park O-World/Daejeon Zooland with my parents (who were visiting). This theme park is probably the biggest amusement park in Daejeon. So I learned about this theme park. In particular, I saw the zoo portion of it, and I got to see what sort of animals are kept in zoos in the area.

Also today, when I was walking with my parents we explored the underground market by the KTX station. I hadn't been there before, so it was interesting to walk around down there and see what was being sold.

2. (Project status)

I continued studying microcontrollers this week, improving my circuit and learning how to program them. An LED is hooked up to the circuit now, and I can start making programs to output values onto the LED now.

3. (Picture of the week)

The Theme Park O-World entrance.



4. (What I learned about myself)

My parents came to visit this week, and I showed them around the city. I demonstrated to myself that I know Daejeon well enough to show newcomers to the city around the place. I further verified that I know enough about transportation in the city that I can get anywhere I want to go easily, even with people who speak no Korean traveling with me.

5. (New people I met this week)

I'm working a lot with BK, a KAIST student in the HUBO lab, on the microcontroller project, and so I'm getting to know him. He's a nice guy, and very knowledgeable about microcontrollers. His main project is making HUBO run.

No comments:

Post a Comment